What is enrolment?

Enrolment is the process you need to complete to become an official UCFB/GIS student. You must complete enrolment at the start of every academic year.

Enrolment is an important part of your student journey with us. The enrolment team is here to help you through the process and provide support wherever you need it. We strongly recommend that you complete enrolment as soon as possible, to allow you to focus on your studies.

Enrolment with UCFB/GIS consists of 2 parts. It is completely online and involves you providing up-to-date information for your student record.

Part 1) Complete your consents form with UCFB/GIS.

Part 2) Complete your enrolment with BNU. Once you have completed both parts you will be a fully enrolled student.

Why is enrolment necessary?

Why is enrolment necessary?

Enrolment is a crucial part of your student journey, as it gives you access to:

Your student loan – if you have been awarded a student loan, completing your enrolment will allow BNU to release your loan.
UCFB/GIS Online Hub – your online learning tools
On campus events – you will need to complete enrolment before you can be issued a student ID card. You will need this to access UCFB/GIS on-campus facilities.
Your timetable – after completing your online enrolment, you will be able to view your timetable by logging in to UCFB/GIS Learner Portal. Please be aware, that although your timetable may not be visible as soon as you enrol, it will be available before teaching starts.

What will enrolment consist of?

Enrolment will take place in 2 parts and as such you will need 2 separate usernames and passwords. One for UCFB/GIS and one for BNU.

Part 1) Enrolment with UCFB/GIS

This will involve completing a short consent form and agreeing to UCFB/GIS policies, and should only take a few minutes to complete.

You will receive an email from enrol@ucfb.com with a reminder of your username and a link to a consent form.

Part 2) Enrolment with BNU

This will also involve agreeing to be registered with BNU as a student within their own regulations and policies.

You will receive an email from enrol@bucks.ac.uk. It will contain guidance on what you need to do and who to contact if you experience any issues.

You will complete enrolment using BNU connect

To access BNU Connect, you will need your 8 digit BNU student ID number and your password. If you have forgotten your BNU student ID please contact enrol@bucks.ac.uk or enrol@ucfb.com.

If you have forgotten your password, there is a function on BNU connect to request a new one.

You can find additional information about enrolling with BNU here.

If you experience any issues with your BNU enrolment, please email enrol@bucks.ac.uk.

Please be aware, that UCFB/GIS staff do not have access to BNU systems. Any issues accessing their systems must be reported using the contact details shown above.

Frequently asked questions

I don’t know my BNU Student ID number?

Please contact either enrol@bucks.ac.uk or enrol@ucfb.com

What is my BNU username?

The format for your login will be 8 digits (your BNU student ID), followed by @bucks.ac.uk e.g. 12345678@bucks.ac.uk

You will complete your enrolment form using the BNU Connect system.

What is my username?

Your username will be in your consent enrolment invite

I have forgotten my password for BNU

You can request a new password via the BNU Connect system  

Password Tip: Your password must be at least 8 characters long, include at least 3 types of the following characters: UPPERCASE (A-Z), Lowercase (a-z), Number (0-9), Symbol (e.g. !, #, $)

Please be aware that our UCFB/GIS IT team do not have access to BNU systems. If you have any issues accessing your enrolment form, you will need to contact BNU by emailing  IT@Bucks.ac.uk or calling +44 (0)1494605000 (Option 1).

I have forgotten my password for UCFB/GIS

You can request a new password via the Consent Enrolment webpage – If you are still facing issues please contact IT@ucfb.com

I haven't received an email from BNU

Please check your spam folder and if possible please add enrol@bucks.ac.uk to your contacts list

Can someone enrol online for me?

No, you must complete both parts of online enrolment yourself.

How do I collect my student ID card?

You will be able to collect your student ID card during induction week after you have fully completed both parts of your enrolment.

What happens if I can't complete enrolment before the latest date of enrolment?

You will need to contact enrol@ucfb.com as soon as possible and explain the reason for the delay in completing enrolment. UCFB will make a case-by-case decision on if we can extend the enrolment period or if you will need to defer your studies

I haven't confirmed my term-time address. What address should I use?

Please add your home address. Once you have secured your term-time accommodation please send your address to enrol@ucfb.com

What is the cooling-off period for tuition fee payment?

BNU students can find a breakdown of your fee liability here – It also includes the cooling-off period, payment dates and what the different periods of study during the year are

Where can I find my Student Support Number?

Your Student Support Number (SSN) is the unique identification number given to you by the Student Loans Company, Student Finance England/Wales/Northern Ireland/Scotland, and your Local Education Authority (LEA). It usually consists of four letters, followed by eight numbers and another letter (e.g. ABCD01234567A) and is quoted on most documents sent to you from the organisations mentioned above

I haven’t applied for a Student Finance loan yet, will this affect my enrolment? 

Yes, you need to have your finance in place before enrolling. If you have not yet applied for a loan, then you need to do so now. Information on how to apply can be found here. If your funding has not been confirmed when you begin the enrolment process, you may be liable to pay the first instalment of your tuition fees. You can contact fees@ucfb.com for further clarification.

What happens if I want to change my course?

If you wish to transfer your studies to a different course you will need to contact the academic administration team at your campus.

How can I request an enrolment confirmation letter?

Once you are fully enrolled and your course has started you can contact student services to request an enrolment confirmation letter.

Online, Blended and Etihad Students sse@ucfb.ac.uk

Wembley Students ssw@ucfb.ac.uk